Thursday, April 23, 2009

Reanimating the Cyborg

The interview I had today was the shortest job interview I've ever had. Basically the women interviewing me filled out a sheet, asking whether or not I preferred working part or full time (I said either), could I operate a multi-line phone (I can!), and what shift I preferred (day). They told me that I would hear from them again next week about a possible second interview.

Yesterday I watched Are You From Bingo? for the first time in God knows how long. Today I cut out anything that might inspire a cease and desist letter, plus I tweaked a couple of other things.

Last night, I attended a lecture by Jillian Burcar at The Warren Hunting Smith library. Jillian has spent the year at HWS as a predoctoral fellow with the Fisher Center for Gender Studies. Her lecture, titled "Reanimating the Cyborg", focused on gender construction in Anime and comics, plus she read excerpts from her own fiction. One piece of her fiction, Usagi's Cookbook, particularly hit home for me. It reminded me of the years I used to read the websites and blogs of anonymous friends, and pour my own thoughts into my blog. Heck, I'm doing it right now!

Afterward, I asked Jillian how she got the plum job of presenting Wes Craven with a Lifetime Scream Award. After she'd dressed as a character from Nightmare on Elm Street at Comic Con, she got a button that had a red mark which was her "golden ticket", if you will.

Right now, I'm reading Mia Farrow's autobiography, What Falls Away. I started on it early yesterday, and I'm at the point where she's seeing Woody Allen. I've been wanting to read it for ten years. So far, I'm not really disappointed, but it seems to lack the intimacy that a lot of great celebrity memoirs have. Especially since Mia has lived such an interesting life. I, for one, would like to know how she got the name Mia, since her legal first name is Maria.

It's supposed to be in the low 70s tomorrow. Can't wait!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home